This recipe is a riff on #CearasKitchen recipe “Simple Peanut Soba Noodles” found on her terrific blog “www.cearaskitchen.com” – not only healthy and vegan but truly delicious. My version here is based on the ingredients I had on-hand and highlights how you can take a recipe and retain its conceptual goodness while substituting your own ingredients.
soba noodles = brown rice noodles
fresh cremini mushrooms = dehydrated shitake mushrooms (reconstituted)peanuts = cashews
Hop over to www.cearaskitchin.com/vegan-peanut-soba-noodles/ for the original recipe. Here’s my brief instructions.
1 package Brown Rice Noodles – look for the 100% brown rice version at an Asian grocery
1 package sliced mushrooms (1-2 cups)
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 stalks green onions, sliced
1 cup cilantro
1/2 cup chopped cashews (or other nut)
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T lime juice
2 T maple syrup
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp ginger (minced)
1/4 tsp mustard powder
3-4 dashes of hot sauce
- Cook to “al dente” 1 package of Brown Rice Noodles in a large pot with a rolling boil. Add 1 T salt and a dash of olive oil to the boiling water. Rice noodles tend to stick together at first but separate later, don’t worry. If they are done before you are ready to add to the
- Prepare the cashew sauce. Ceara’s recipe calls for peanuts, you can use whatever you have in your pantry. Start with 3/4 cup of vegetable broth, add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 T apple cider vinegar, 2 T lime juice, 2 T maple syrup, 2 garlic cloves (minced), 1 tsp ginger (minced), 1/4 tsp mustard powder, 3-4 dashes of hot sauce (Tobasco used here).
- When the noodles are close to done, in a large pan or wok, sauté in olive oil at a med-high heat, 1 package of sliced mushrooms – I used reconstituted shitakes, with 1 sliced red pepper (other colors work too), 1/2 of a white onion and 3 garlic cloves.
- Add cooked noodles to mushroom pan and toss with 1/2 the cashew sauce. Lower the heat to low to avoid overcooking the noodles – they are delicate.
- Add 3 stalks of green onions, with the green part cut into 1 inch segments and the white part sliced thinly and 1/2 cup of chopped cashews. Gradually add more of the cashew sauce to keep the noodles from sticking to the pan, if you run out of sauce just add more water.
- A squeeze of lime juice and 1 cup of cilantro at the last minute.
- Serve into pre-warmed plates with a sprinkle of cashews on top.
Enjoy for good health!